Tyldesley and District Historical Society ( Founded 1972)

Home 
Photograph Album

New Photos

 
History of Tyldesley
Beginnings 
Was there a Castle in Tyldesley?
Who was the Tyldesley Witch?
Coal Mining 

Tyldesley Mines Lists 1869,1908,1945

Key Dates
King Cotton 
Maps of Tyldesley
People

Why was there a strike in 1823?

Statistics
Street names 
War
Welsh Community 
What was Castle St like in 1885?
Campaigns
Save Sacred Heart
Find out more
Bibliography 
Contact Us
Guestbook
Links 

                                                                                                                                            

                                             

 

 

 

Historic Maps of Tyldesley

For current map of Tyldesley click here

 

Yates Map of Lancahsire 1786 shows Tyldesley straddling either side of the highway. The sites of the Manor houses of Shakerley, Cleworth, Garratt, Astley (Dam House) and Chaddock can be clearly seen.

 

 

 

 

Hennets Map of Lancashire 1829 clearly shows that Tyldesley, under the patronage of Thomas Johnson and his eagerness to develop his estate, by this time had a grid pattern of streets running along the top of the Banks.  

GenaImageSourcer.png (227148 bytes)

Ordnance survey map of Tyldesley 1849 with later revisions showing the railway of 1864 This is a very large map and shows tremendous detail but may take some time to open.

 

wpe8.jpg (58544 bytes)

Ordnance survey map of Tyldesley 1936. The map clearly shows the Parish church of St. George in the centre with Castle St running north. At the bottom of the map is Tyldesely Railway Station and St. Georges Bank Colliery. At the top of the map is the Barnfield Mills complex.